As I make my journey through this life, I am forced to reflect deeply on the past and how it shapes me, my life and my worldview presently. Acknowledging the invisible scars, accepting trauma and forgiving myself and others for decisions and actions that can’t be undone. Reflecting on the past has helped me appreciate the present, the people who made it with me and the difficult lessons I can now carry with ease. I’ve learned to shed the weight of societal pressure, religious obligation, parental approval and the need to fit in and the fear of missing out. I am free and on some days, I feel like I can almost float.
When I look to the future, I am excited to live it with complete sincerity and honesty. To be unapologetically myself and upholding the values I cherish and to have integrity in all aspects of my life. My desire to live fully is fuelled by the works of incredible women who challenge me, inspire me and force me to be better each day. I remind myself of them, their work and lives when I feel uninspired, unmotivated or just lazy.
Maya Angelou’s is a woman whose never needed an introduction; she is nothing short of inspirational, moving, profound and incredibly courageous. Here’s a list of a few of her suggestions to live a life of purpose.
- Always do RIGHT
- Right by you, right by your internal compass, right by your morals. Do what feels right
- Be courageous
- Courage is the most valuable virtue, without courage you will never be able to achieve other virtues consistently
- Spread love
- Just have fun, enjoy your life and learn to laugh at yourself
- Be a blessing to somebody
- If you can be the rainbow in someone’s cloud, do it! Simple
- Turn struggles into trumps
- Find the silver lining; it’s always there
- You are talented
- Believe it, own it and never let someone else tell you otherwise
- Learn to say no
- Stop putting yourself second and stand-up for yourself and just say ‘no, thanks’
- Always do your best
- If you don’t give it your all, you won’t get it all
- Keep rising
- If someone puts you down, rise above it (also don’t internalize it)
And get a pet, they just make you smile every day and remind you that they need you and love you unconditionally every day and forever!